Friday, 23 June 2017

Powis Castle

On our way to Aberystwyth  during half term, we broke the journey with a visit to the National Trust house at Powis Castle.

The building is high on a hill overlooking the Severn Valley,  on a clear day you can see for miles; unfortunately when we visited the hills were shrouded in low cloud, so the view was not great.

 The terraced gardens under the castle were lovely, I took lots of photos so I think I will be making multi photo layouts.

I used more really old stash for this page, the papers were designed by Amy Butler, and must be around ten years old. I added Thickers, flowers cut from the papers and Nuvo drops in pink and transluscent crystal to make the page feel a little more up to date.  More Powis pages to come, as I have lots of photos to scrapbook.

Tuesday, 20 June 2017

Fun on Father's Day

We went out for a Father's day meal the week before last, as it coincided with two family birthdays and had great fun at a local hotel.

After the carvery, the children cut up orange rind making it into teeth, just like my Dad used to do for them when they were little.

We then took a few family photos outside the old farmhouse, it was lovely to have a picture of our whole family, I'm not normally in them.

I love this picture of my Mum and Dad with all the grandchildren...all adults now (nearly!)

I can see these on scrapbook pages once work is done for the summer.

Friday, 16 June 2017

A Handmade Gift

My knitting daughter made me a cute little gift when she was home from Uni over the Easter holidays.
Image may contain: indoor

I let her know I wanted a new pin-cushion, she make one in the shape of a cactus.  So cute!

Tuesday, 13 June 2017

It Runs in the Family...

...both crafting and blogging I think.  My daughter is an avid knitter and has begun a blog to record her knitting capers.  
Image may contain: indoor

She made a beautiful Game of Thrones blanket last year (the 'eternal project' according to DD); but it is now finished , so she came up with a new never-ending knit.

Knit all the Things!

Her recent idea for a knitting project is to produce small squares of various patterns, and then to add these (along with a little history about the pattern and instructions how to make them) into a scrapbook. The book currently contains 27 knitted swatches, with a few more pending.

DD tells me she has based the idea on four books produced by Barbara G Walker many years ago.  She plans to make as many knitted pattern squares as possible; there are nearly 2000 stitches to include.  So many, she has even made a spreadsheet to track her progress!
My favourite thing about her blog is the inclusion of lots of geeky /science jokes.  As she is studying astrophysics at university, they are totally appropriate.  In fact, her funny asides make me want to include a few more on my blog too.

Take a look at Knitty Gritty blog here;   and if you leave her a comment, she would be delighted!

Friday, 9 June 2017

Love You

A quick page here...

Thanks to a bargain Paige Evans kit I picked up at Hobbycraft, it made for a layout in only half an hour.

The papers that appear to back the white cut are simply printed onto the 12x12 sheet, I just used 3D foam to lift up the white card. 

Most of the embellishments are from either the kit or from an Oh my Heart die cut pack, including the acetate word (stapled onto the layout) and letters punched from a 12x12 paper...and finally, more of the Sizzix die cut peacock feathers I'm loving at the moment.

Wednesday, 7 June 2017

On the Way to Wales.

We spent some of half term in Aberystwyth visiting Katie, taking Kevin's mum and dad with us.

On the way, we broke the journey by stopping at Powith Castle.

The house was lovely, as were the gardens; it was just a pity the weather was poor, as the incredible view was obscured by low cloud.

Standing in a high position (as many castles are) the gardens were a little behind ours in a more sheltered position, so many of the spring flowers that have 'gone over' closer to home were still in bloom.

The wisteria was looking gorgeous.  I used to have one at the front of my own house, but when we had to repair cracks in the brick and plaster work, the insurance company insisted that the cause was the wisteria (not the incredibly dry winter and spring we had just undergone) and insisted we cut it down.

The gardens were terraced with some ancient clipped yew trees forming the backdrop of permanent planting.

The tree were so old that they formed hollow domes inside, perfect for a den!

We only walked along the first terrace, as the visit was just to be a brief one to break our journey; the roads to Wales are not the fastest!

 In the house, we had fun below stairs as there were a few costumes to try on for photo opportunities.

Hannah would have enjoyed this. :)

Grandma dressed up as a maidservant, pouring tea for John and Kevin! All in all, I would recommend the castle as a great place to visit, and being members of the National Trust, it was free for us to get in.

Monday, 5 June 2017

Museum of Birmingham

Kevin and I took a trip out to Birmingham back in May and we visited the Edwardian museum in the city centre.

The building is lovely, with many original features; it was good to see one of the city's original pieces of architecture intact. I used a mix of old and new stash. 

The cardstock background is from one of the first paper pads I bought, well over ten years ago!

On the new side, other papers are by Simple Stories, tissue tape is Tim Holtz, and the calendar stamp is one of my newest: by Altenew.

The title is a mix of Xcut script stamps and Simple Stories letter stickers. Whilst there, we saw the Saxon Hoard found in Staffordshire, I plan to make another layout about this later.