Sunday 14 November 2010

Seventy Years On....

Today is the 70th anniversary of the Coventry blitz, as I was sitting in the kitchen earlier this evening it was odd to think that our house was there that night...and emerged unscathed, unlike one just around the corner which was destroyed along with the father of the household, outside his Anderson shelter. Much of the medieval city centre was destroyed by incendiaries that night, and as it has been a big news item locally, I decided to make a LO commemorating the day. I took a photo of Harry as he was about to set off for the remebrance parade with the scouts this morning, the lower photo is one I took in the ruins of the cathedral back in September. St Michaels was set alight by firebombs 70 years ago to the day.



The inspiration for the page came from this weeks challenge on UKS, I followed a sketch, but added my own twist to the circle by making it from 'barbed wire' I printed and cut out from cardstock. I used the Tim Holtz barbed wire mask to colour the card too. The poppies are stamped and cut out using a Papermania stamp set, the swirl is a Sizzix die, as are the title letters.

I journalled about our families experiences, as my Grandparents lived through that night, and although Mum wasn't born until the end of the war, she has shared her own mums memories of the war in Coventry. For me, this is what scrapbooking is all about, making history personal.

2 comments:

SusieJ said...

A very fitting tribute Ann. Love the "barbed wire" and poppies.
Hugs,
Sue xx

Luluuk said...

Amazing tribute, so powerful. It was so cold this morning, it got me thinking not only how scared they must have been - but also how cold. I bet those Anderson shelters didn't have central heating.