Sunday 16 August 2015

Tyneham and Worbarrow Bay

On one of the few sunny days this week we took a trip to an area of Dorset that is closed to the public for over 2/3 of the year, as it used by the MOD as a firing range out of the summer season. The army land hides a beautiful bay and the tiny, deserted village of Tyneham; abandoned by order of the government during World War 2, and never returned to its owners.

Although it is very sad that the people of Tyneham were evicted and never allowed to return, the valley and adjoining Worbarrow Bay are truly unspoilt as a result; time really feels as if it has stood still in the 70 years since their departure. I visited around 6 or 7 years ago and revisited again this summer.


 In some of the more preserved buildings it feels as if the villagers have just gone out and will be back any time.

The main street, including an early phone box, before they were painted red.


The names are of the last class to attend Tyneham school, empty coat-hooks awaiting their return.


My sister, nephew and me at Worbarrow bay; sheltered, beautiful, striking cliffs and gorgeous for a swim.


One of Dorset's hidden gems; just make sure you check online whether the ranges are open before you visit.

2 comments:

Louise H said...

What fabulous photos. It sounds like you really enjoyed your 'revisit'. We have never visited Dorset but I know my Sons would love visiting a site like this.

Unknown said...

Lovely pics of a glorious coast-line.
I'm visiting Dorset for the first time next month....I know...shame on me, so thanks for the 'heads up' on Tyneham & Portland as they sound like they're worth a visit.
All I need now is the good weather you look to have had.....Mgt.